The University of Manchester is working with a number of schools in delivering the Teaching Agency School Direct route into teaching. The main aim of School Direct is to allow schools to recruit and select the trainees they want with the expectation that they will then go on to be employed within the school or group of schools in which they were trained, although there is no absolute guarantee of employment. School Direct trainees will still follow a PGCE but will have increased contact with their School Direct School throughout their PGCE.
How will this differ to the existing PGCE route?
You will be training for a specific school or group of schools from the very start of the process. You will however follow all the academic requirements of the rest of the PGCE and you will be assessed in the same way and have access to the University services in the normal way. You will however have increased contact with your school, they will have a greater say in your development and your certification will be a ‘PGCE School Direct’ award.
Which lead schools does the University of Manchester work with?
The following schools are all working with the University of Manchester and you can find out more about each school by following the links. Please note that although a lead school is listed it may not be this school that you are trained in or where the ‘expectation’ to be employed will be. This is something you should discuss with each lead school.
How do I apply for School Direct?
To apply you need to go through the application system on the Teaching Agency website .
How will I be selected?
The School Direct system has a two stage interview process as follows:
- If you choose one of the schools that the University of Manchester are working with your completed application will come to us via the Teaching Agency application process.
- If you meet our requirements your application will be sent to the schools you have selected.
- If you meet the school requirements you will be invited to interview at the lead school or one of the link schools.
- If you are successful at interview you will then be invited for the second part of the interview process that will take place at a University of Manchester assessment centre. This will be the same as a standard PGCE interview. If you pass this you will be offered a place on the School Direct programme.
- If you are not successful at your interview with your school and have not already done so then you may want to apply for the PGCE route.